CFPB Settlement Verizon
- Current and former Verizon Wireless account holders can claim a refund under the Verizon Wireless Premium SMS Refund Program
Class members are defined as anyone who were billed an unauthorized Premium SMS charge from a third-party anytime after July 1, 2010. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Communications Commission and State Attorneys General, has come together with Verizon Wireless to hammer out a settlement plan to refund customers of these charges (although the exact amount of money any one class member will receive under the terms of the Verizon Wireless SMS Refund Program are not known). Examples of SMS marketing content that class members may have been charged for include sports information (in the form of scores), screen backgrounds, ringtones, entertainment and subscriptions.
- ALL CLAIM FORMS ARE DUE BY 12/31/15
- Current Verizon customers will receiving a billing credit
- Customers who are no longer with Verizon will receive a check via US Mail
- CFPB Settlement Verizon claims can be filed online or by mail
- If the refund due under the terms of the settlement equals $3 or less the class member will not receive a refund
- All refund claims are subject to review and verification (i.e. customers/class members may be asked to prove they were charged a premium SMS purchase)
- VW customers can view a billing summary that reflects possible Premium SMS charges through the settlement web portal
- All refunds should be delivered within 90 days of 1/1/16
- A Verizon Wireless account number is not required to file a claim but is helpful
Any questions or concerns about the VW SMS Refund Program can be directed to Verizon Wireless Premium SMS Refund Program Administrator c/o GCG P.O. Box 10186 Dublin, OH 43017-3186 or by phone 1-888-726-7063 (taking calls from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EDT/EST). Please do not contact the Verizon Wireless corporate office with any questions about the refund program at this time.